Cracks in the ground

Check out this crack in our pasture!  I included a picture of my roughly painted toes to give you an idea of just how big it is.  It hasn't rained a drop here since the beginning of July. Then we were drowning in 11 inches.  Now we are desperate for rain.  I know much of the country is in the same situation so we aren't alone.  But really, I do wish that water would fall from the sky!
This crack is by our front porch.  It is over an inch wide. We have been watering this area every other day lately.  It looks like our house could get swallowed up by the ground.  I am so thankful that my husband had the foresight to have 41 piers put under our feet.  A firm foundation is essential in our homes and in our hearts for that matter.

The heat continues today and we are taking extra special care of the chickens.  We have given them free range and plenty of water.  We watered their yard with a sprinkler all night and we flooded under the house today.  They have puddles to wade in for now.  In a few hours it will be cool ground for them to scratch in.  Hopefully, we won't lose any today.

Comments

  1. The sprinkler was a great idea for the chickens, Kim. I spent the day tending my soaker hoses. That cool front they keep talking about can't come too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I could send you some of our rain. We've had plenty and it keeps coming.
    Here's wishing you cooler weather.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?