Making my own farm signs

I started working on a farm sign for our entrance yesterday.  I have a design in mind with the name of our farm, our brand, and our addresses.  Addresses (plural) because we have one main entrance for both houses.  This spring, I saved some cedar boards from the old blackberry fence that we replaced.  Weathered and warped, the 6 inch boards resemble old barn wood.  I am going to paint the whole thing white then paint the lettering in black.  I am hoping to print and trace the letters and the brand to make it easier.  Then I will sand the edges of the boards to age it a little and put a few coats of polyurethane on it.  That is the plan anyway.  We'll see how it goes.  This is what it looks like so far.  There are knots and nail holes in the wood that I hope will add character when it is finished.  Hopefully I can turn my vision into reality and it will be hanging on the fence by the end of the week.

Then I have this other sign project I want to do. Remeber the old advertisments on the side of barns?  Ok, picture this:  We have this space right outside the kitchen window. 


Our breezeway connects the mudroom in the house to the rec room in the garage.  That created a little patio space outside the kitchen window. I like the chairs and flowers sitting there but that wall is so big and bare.  I want to do something with it.  I started by thinking I needed to find an old tin farm sign to hang up over the chairs.  But I'm pretty sure I am going to paint this straight on the wall.


Instead of having a ribbon with "open daily" I would do an arrow that will point to the rec room door where the pool playing is. I thought the "no gambling or swearing" was cute.  What do you think?

Comments

  1. I love the Billiards sign. So cute. And I think it will look great on that wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sign is absolutely perfect! What a fun way to personalize your space and really lay down the rules. Can't be to careful, ya know?! And I love the new farmhouse picture at the top of the blog--it looks so cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~*~*Love the sign!! Great idea for that open spot!! :)Rachel~*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sign! My aunt lives near me now, but used to live several hours away, in an old farmhouse, and she found a barn sign she liked and got on the ladder and painted the barn... I saw pictures, but that was quite a few years ago... There is a lady in my town that has her farm outbuildings decorated with paintings of quilts/quilt blocks. very nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen Sue,
    I saw one on the internet like that. I bet that is cute! Can you send me a pic of what she has?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do believe you could make a business out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness I'm looking forward to seeing both signs but especially the one on the wall...I think what you've chosen along with the changes will be GREAT!!! I hope you're not melting down there as it's to get up to 105 here in Kansas today...again. Keep cool!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?