Thanksgiving book

Each year at this time, I get out a special book.


We all know the story of the first Thanksgiving by the Pilgrims and Indians but what happened before? Why were they so thankful that year?  This book sweetly tells the story of tragedy, perseverance, and faith of these people.  It reminds our family of the things that we should be truly thankful for.  This week we are tossing aside our regular history lessons and reading this instead.  It's become a tradition.
Over the years, we have done a few things that made Thanksgiving memorable.  Things that made it more than food and football. 

Often we have 5 kernels of corn by each place setting as a reminder of the Pilgrims daily rations one winter before the first Thanksgiving.  How blessed we are to have food on the table.  The kernels are a poinant reminder of simple blessings of daily needs.

We also share things that we are thankful for.  One year, our boys made a Mayflower ship out of a milk carton and every one put a slip of paper in it with what they were thankful for.  We laughed and cried.  Our family was thankful for everything from God's forgiveness to diapers!

No matter what, we pause to pray and thank God for all the blessings He has given to us.  This year I am especially grateful for all we have.  Our new farm has been so much work but it is exactly what we have always wanted. For that I am very thankful.

Added to that is food and football and that is good too.

What do you do that makes Thanksgiving special for your family?

Comments

  1. I love the idea of putting the corn kernels next to each plate. My family is coming here this year and I am going to do this. Love your ideas on how to make it an even more meaningful holiday. We always go around and table and say what we are thankful for each year and we also honor my father who is no longer with us and laugh and talk. Looking forward to it.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia but if I chose one extra celebration here it would be one of this kind. I love the idea of the corn kernels next to your plates! As a Christian though I try to be grateful on a daily basis. I think the world would try and reduce every holiday into football and food wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been in Sweden this weeekend talking about our Lithuanian freinds with tears and been thankful every day for our european alliance, so thanksgiving in a different way for us! jennyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I'm sitting here in my living room (in Norway), and looking at blogs and found yours. So cozy farmhous you have. Here in Norway we have no tradition to celebrate Thanksgiving as you do, so it's very nice to read about your traditions. I will visit your blog again and perhaps learn more about your traditions. Farmor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to all my new international friends! I just love getting to know people far away without leaving home. It is a small world afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim, thanks for your lovely comment, yes the blanket was crocheted out of pure wool, New Zealand gets cold during the winter! Dad loved it by the way, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it is all about and family and being grateful for the blessings in our lives. So far it has escaped being swallowed completely by the excess surrounding Christmas. I hope you and your family have a truly wonderful Thanksgiving, Kim.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?