What else could happen today?

I can't even believe what happened around the farm today...

We discovered that my whole flock of chickens has a fungus called favus.  We thought the rooster had frostbite at first.  Then we researched and then inspected all the girls.  And yes, they all have it.  It's supposed to be rare in North America.  We started topical treatment with Monistat cream of all things.  I'm concerned that some may have to be put down including Mr Darcy here.

Our youngest son found poison ivy and is covered in it.  Yes, even in the dead of winter.



One of the pigs ate glass!  It must have worked it's way up out of the ground.  Wayne heard "Sausage" crunching on something and tried to get it all from him but he was determined that the glass pieces were yummy and gobbled some down.  Good grief!  Try googling that!  "My pig ate glass." 

I can't even imagine what the vet is going to say tomorrow!


  1. Oh my gosh. And here I thought raising kids alone was tough! We've been very fortunate with our chickens so far...and I have heard that pigs will eat anything but glass, really? Good luck with the vet.


  2. I hate days like that! You might want to try to get some yogurt in those chickens. It's not hard because they love it. It might help internally for what the fungicide is doing externally. Your poor son! One of the worst poison ivy problems my daughter ever had was from helping her dad with firewood in December. I hope Mr. pig is okay. I've been amazed what they can eat with no problem.

  3. Kim I have some raw dairy kefir that is even more potent and full of probiotics than yogurt if you need some... let me know. I have plenty.

  4. Well, I hope the poison ivy goes away quickly! And I hope the pig is okay :)
    Becky C

  5. Hi! It's so fab to find your blog! Thanks for the Christmas card! We surely did miss our annual rendevoux with your family in Red River!

  6. Oh, dear, Kim...what a horrible day! I do hope that by this evening things are looking brighter. What did the vet say?

  7. As for the pig, the vet said he would pass the glass and live or he wouldn't and he would die. Yep, that sounds about right.
    And the chickens, he had no idea. I called several vets to no avail. We will have to continue on and see how they do with the treatment. This could be my new exercise program. It took over an hour to catch all of them yesterday to put meds on them.

    Hi Deborah! We did miss RR and you guys too. Glad you stopped by!

  8. Oh my goodness, Kim! I hope your son is okay. Poison ivy is HORRID stuff. Your poor pigs and chickens. I really hope they get better soon.

    I love the photo of your pig - he looks like a cheeky little thing!


  9. I have a sign that says raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a tree...or something like that...
    I think many parts of life are like that. You get to certain places and just say "tell me why I'm doing this again?"
    Chin up! Think my 13yo got into something itchy in the fall. #1 advice from me - STAY OUT OF WHEREVER YOU JUST WERE!! Mother of the year material, I know!!

  10. You've been in my thoughts since I first read this blog. I am hoping that the pig will pass the glass and that the chickens will get better and not have to be put down. And, of course, that the poison ivy will clear up quickly. hugs to you

  11. Thanks to all my blog friends for your concern. J's poison ivy has stopped spreading thanks to oral steriods but his cute face looks like he slid face first on the gravel road.
    The pig is still alive after 3 days.
    And the chicken's spots seem to be subsiding, slowly but surely. We also found out that the eggs are still safe to eat (probably). Hmmm. Still don't think I will sell any right now. And other than a mishap in the garage requiring sheetrock repair and a virus being passed around, we are all surviving the beginning of 2011. Let's just say, I'm watching alot of Jane Austen. That's my escape from reality.


Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?