Chocolate Cake

My father in law got a cake as a Father's Day gift ~ a chocolate cake ~ an old family recipe handed down from sweet Aunt Effie.  She was the kind of lady that wore dresses and pearls everyday.  Ladies like that knew how to bake! This worn recipe card was written in her hand.


So what happened with the cake?  My father in law, Papaw, had a piece last night and then another before bed.  This morning he had cake as a pre-breakfast snack. Then cake for breakfast and another slice before lunch.  Nana wasn't going to have that!  She called and said they had cake and he didn't need to eat the whole thing.  Off went one of my boys to get cake.  At lunch, we devoured the whole thing.  So good but not nearly enough! 

So what did I make this afternoon? You guessed it ~
Aunt Effie's Chocolate Cake.

Do I dare take Papaw another piece?


Aunt Effie's Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 c sugar
2/3 c oil
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 c boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour bundt pan.
Make a paste of boiling water and cocoa.  Set aside to cool.
Cream oil, sugar, & vanilla.
Add eggs one at a time beating after each.
Stir together flour, soda, and salt.
Add to cream mixture alternating with buttermilk.
Blend in chocolate.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
Do not overbake because it will be dry.
Ice with mixture of milk and powdered sugar with a dash of vanilla.

Comments

  1. Pawpaw sounds like my kind of man! Chocolate at every meal :) I think I will be giving this a try sometime soon, I've yet to meet a chocolate cake recipe that wasn't worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim my mom's first name is Effie.I have never heard of another.Her middle is Louise that is what she goes by.Her great grandma form Oklahoma was an Effie.
    The cake sounds yummy..and for those who won't use eggs you can substitute applesauce for eggs and coconut oil for shortening.It still comes out the same..lol

    Send me a piece?...lol

    Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks awesome! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,
    Anyone refraining from eggs based on animal cruelty needs to find a local farm and buy eggs out of totally spoiled, free ranged chickens like mine. Or better yet, they can raise some laying hens themselves and have no guilt whatsoever.

    Holly,
    Chocolate at every meal is a good idea I think. Guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow?

    Cindy,
    This Effie was from San Angelo, Tx. She's the only one I ever heard of having that name too. It's a cute name, don't you think?

    Texwisgirl & Michaele,
    Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buttermilk makes everything better! I will have to make this one someday soon....just as soon as I lose 10 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha it looks like a REALLY good cake!!!
    And yes if i was him i would a piece whenever i could too!

    Great post! and thanks for the tip on the turkey's! next time my sister is here i'll give it a shot!

    Thanks
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! Go for it..take him another piece..but..just a smallish one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Effie is quite a well-known name on our island amongst the older ladies. And then, here middle name was Louise (female version of Lewis?!). Are you sure her 'people' weren't from this tip of Scotland!

    Anyway - I love seeing old recipes hand-written and well used. Don't you almost feel like the person is right there with you in the kitchen - especially if there are additional comments on it, like, 'tried this temp, but decided on 10degrees lower'....

    Love the look of this cake, and, as other commenters have said, there just is no wrong time for chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, that sounds delicious, thanks for sharing a treasured family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, I'm going to have to try this one. Love the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make me hungry for chocolate cake. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pawpaw would fit right in at our house! When I make Rambob a pie...he eats a quarter after dinner...another quarter before bed....a quarter around midnite...the last quarter for breakfast.

    I love the handwritten recipe card!...and I am definitely trying Effie's cake this weekend...and Rambob will have a fight on his hands because I'm having me a piece! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks quite delicious! Hmm, that Papaw sounds like my Dad. ;) I get in "trouble" for making sweets for them, because he eats at every chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kind of family! Chocolate cake for dinner, desert and breakfast... Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks yummy! Too bad it's not gluten free :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?