Making a gate

Gate making ~ I seem to have gotten that job on the farm.  Probably because digging post holes or putting up fencing is not really a "mom job" (at least not for this mom).  I don't mind though.  Now that I have made a few (5 to be exact), I kind of like the job.


Now, I've never considered myself a "handywoman".  Working with tools has just never been my thing.  Give me a crochet hook or a sewing machine and I'm a happy girl.
But gate making is a handy skill to have especially on a farm
so I thought I would show you how I did it.

First, I purchased a gate kit at Home Depot.  This makes it really easy!


Following the directions, I assembled the frame.
(confession, I put it together wrong twice on the first gate)


Measure 2x4s to fit in the frame.  The total width of the gate needs to be 4 inches less than the opening.  This allows for the hardware.


And tension wire and hanging clamps.
Easy so far, right?


Now you need to decide how tall you want the gate to be.
Mine are 4 feet. I left one inch gaps in between the boards.
Lay them out first before you start attaching them so you know they are spaced right.


Then screw them on.
(Always wear proper footwear when using tools.)


Next, lay boards horizontally across gate and mark to cut.


Trim to fit with a miter saw.


Now cut diagonal board to fit in between horizontal ones.
This cut is tricky.
Say it with me ~ measure twice, cut once.


Ta Da!
Now to hang it.


Get a big strapping man to screw in those bolts.
Wait a few weeks for the boards to dry out
and paint ~
white, of course!


A perfect farm gate

Comments

  1. you are SO handy! loved the tip on the proper footwear! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly developing a broad range of skills. I guess it is just about a necessity on the farm, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew there was such a thing as a gate kit. How wonderful. It makes me think I should tackle a gate or two around here!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a thing about gates, so I appreciate the tutorial. I'll make sure I have the right shoes on before attempting (cute).

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...awe, but your pedicure looked so nice in the photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we didn't know HD had gate kits~good to know; we getting ready to build on 5 acres and we are going to need a few gates. love the proper shoes too cute...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?