Canned Pico De Gallo

Did you know Pico De Gallo means "beak of the rooster"?
Hmm... I wonder who came up with that!
There are no beaks in this recipe
and it is oh so good.

I haven't made it in years but we had a bumper crop of grape tomatoes so it was time to break out the jars.  Chopping the peppers and onions can be a tearful process but those tears will turn to joy when I pull a jar of pico out of the pantry. 


Never canned anything?  Come on, you can do it!  It's not that hard. There are only a few tools you need to make it really easy.  A jar lifter and a canning funnel and jars and lids of course.


After the veggies sit in salt in the refrigerator overnight, they are rinsed, mixed with a little vinegar, water, and sugar, and cooked.

I know, pico de gallo is not supposed to be cooked but this has to be hot when it goes in the jars.  We will still call it pico.  No one will know.


Spoon into the jars, put on lids,


and into a water bath to seal.


Did you know Ball makes labels that dissolve in water.  I was skeptical but they really work ~ in, like, 5 seconds. No more scrubbing stickers off. Sweet!


In the pantry ~ 6 jars sweet pico de gallo.
Really only 5 made it to the pantry.  The other one we have eaten already. ;)


Here's the recipe.
Note: this is about as mild as you can get.  If you want more kick, double or triple the jalepenos or pour in the hot sauce.

Sweet Pico De Gallo
8 medium tomatoes, diced
3 medium onions, diced
2 large sweet red peppers, diced
2 large green peppers, diced
2 large sweet yellow peppers, diced
4 large cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
2 large jalepenos, finely chopped (more if you want it spicy)
1/2 t. dried oregano leaves
2 tsp. Louisianna Hot Sauce (I omit this)
1 T lemon juice
1/4 c. finely snipped cilantro
1/4 c. pickling or kosher salt
1 c. apple cider vinegar
2 c. drippings from veggies
1 c. sugar

Mix tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, cilantro, and oregano in large non-metallic mixing bowl.  Sprinkle salt over vegetables and stir.  Cover and let sit in refrigerator overnight.  Pour off 2 cups of liquid from veggies.  Rinse and drain off what is left.  In a large pot, combine drippings, vinegar, and sugar.  Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar.  Stir in vegetables and bring to a boil. Use basic canning directions to can pico in jars.

Comments

  1. Oh this sounds terrific, I must give this a try. I consider my mother a master canner, her jars were always beautiful. I was intimidated by canning, but slowly getting the hang of it. A couple of batches of grape, blackberry and crabapple jellies in the beginning, ready to move up to veggies. My girlfriend just shared a radish relish that I want to can.

    Thanks for sharing and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you have this recipe up here! This is exactly what I was looking for. Being in Scotland, I don't have all the terminology for your wonderful salsa-type dishes, but I wanted to 'can' (for the first time) some of the produce we'll get from our own greenhouse - peppers, jalepenos, tomatoes, garlic etc.
    This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you use this like a salsa? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it turns out ok, I forgot to rinse off the veggies b4 bringing back to a boil =( but it still looks good smells great and tastes fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I just HAD to google this recipe and yep, there it was!!! :-) Ha Ha! The picture is beautiful and it looks fabulous! :-) - Dori -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you make this without sugar? Why or why not? Sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make this with one cup sugar to add some sweetness. We don't use artificial sweeteners. I guess you could leave it out. I've just never fixed it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl,I love your blog!!! My husband said we need to get farm animals because everything is expensive. I wanted a chickens. I love to read bible every day.Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When do you add the lemon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You add it in the beginning when you stir up the veggies before they sit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?