Roasted Brussel Sprouts


I know what you are thinking..."Yuck", right?
That's what I always thought!
Seriously, it's the only thing I remember from childhood having a standoff over at the dinner table.  I didn't win the fight and they didn't taste any better cold.


Recently, I saw some being roasted on a cooking show. 
Yes, roasted!  {Hmm...}
Then I was confonted with them on the veggie aisle at the grocery store.  It wasn't until then that I gave brussel sprouts some serious thought.  Actually, I stood there {probably for far too long} wondering what kind of things my children would say about the nasty green balls.  I bought them anyway and took them home.  It was time for me to face my childhood fears of the little cabbages and my family was going to do it with me!

Trim stems, half or quarter, toss in olive oil, salt & pepper, and pop in oven at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes until tender and edges brown. Easy enough.



And you know what?
They were wonderful!
Toasty, salty, tender...
Really! They're good. 
Trust me.


The best part is that my kids ask for them for dinner.  Did you hear me?  ASK for green vegetables! I know, it's amazing!

So the thing I most feared to see on my plate as a kid, is now a regular part of our farmhouse fare.  The secret to bringing out the best in the little beasts is to roast them. 
 I guess my mom just didn't know that! ;)


For everything God created is good,
and nothing is to be rejected if
it is received with thanksgiving.
1 Timothy 4:4