Four Favorites

Lambing 2014 is complete
with a total of 20 lambs, the most we've ever had.
I must say it was a challenging year
with 5 bottle lambs and 2 deaths.
Still, it has been rewarding
and we have learned a lot about shepherding.

Among the 20, there are a few stand-outs in the crowd.

Alpine ~
a blue eyed 2 horned ram.
He has amazing fleece and perfect face markings
as well as that nice slender look we love.


Atticus~
This darkly marked 2 horn ram is out of our flock matron, Precious.  She has old breed lines and we've been  hoping for a great ram from her.  She didn't disappoint us.  He's fabulous.


Amy~
Oh my.  She's just as pretty as she can be.
I think she's an improvement over her dam
and she's hard to beat.


Astaire~
 We are all fond of him because he loves attention.  
Right from the start, he has been entertaining us (hence, the name)
He is a 4 horn with lots of spots.


I know what you are thinking.  "How can you have favorites when they are all so cute?"

When you are a shepherd, you must evaluate each lamb on genetic diversity, conformation, markings, fleece and horn structure.  And then you look for presence ~ that something special that makes them stand out in a crowd. 

I think these four have it
 so they are my favorites.
Which one of the four do you like?

You will seek me and find me 
when you seek me with all your heart,
 says the LORD.
Jeremiah 29:13

Comments

  1. Thankfully I am not a shepherd. I couldn't possibly choose one!! What cuuuuties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I think... She looks so sweet!
    I have meant to get out there to see them again now that they are all born, and to see if you have eggs to sell, too. Time is just flying past me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Alpine and Amy the best! :-) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too hard to pick just one. But then, I don't have to! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is the little blind lamb, what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing fine! I'll do a blog post update soon.

      Delete
  6. I can't pick just one! They are all so adorable. Love the names!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never a sheep fan, until you started blogging about your little flock. I really like these sheep. They are so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They ARE cute. And your goat's a hoot too :-).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?