New Years Chicks

What could be better to bring in the new year than new baby chicks?


It's a strange time of year to get chicks, I know.
It's 20 degrees outside today.
Never the less, I wanted winter chicks so they would lay by summer.


Our last little flock of Dominiques were so gentle but they didn't fare that well.  Only half of them made it through the summer and it wasn't even that hot.  Even though I really prefer heritage breeds, I decided to try a crossbreed designed for our climate from a reputable Oklahoma hatchery.  Our weather is blazing hot and freezing cold and windy in between.  The chicken man promises this flock of Delaware Dixies is just what we need.


They were born last night.  I got the call this morning that they arrived.  So we made the trek over an hour away to pick up our new girls.  They are lively little things!  The healthiest looking chicks we've ever had.

Oh, my!  They are so cute!

We will pamper them inside for a few days til the weather is not so harsh for the newborn chicks.  Then out they go to the shed to grow into big girls.  Dear Lizzy will become mother hen and the Dominiques... well the freezer is in their future if they make it til spring.

Isaiah 43:19
Behold, I will do a new thing;
now it shall spring forth;
shall ye not know it?
I will even make a way in the wilderness,
rivers in the desert.

Comments

  1. How exciting! Great way to start off the new year! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. Glad to hear Lizzy is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful way to start 2015. They are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. There are few things cuter than a baby chick! You are living the life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So what do you think of that?